[Prism54-users] FYI: Master Mode / Ad-hoc mode broken

Rob Gipman gipmanr@mtn.co.ug
Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:12:43 +0300

--------------060505070502080106030807

Luis,

I had it working under the 2.4 kernel with pre9 and also for a moment
with rc5 untill i made a kernel compile mistake because the stupid
cdrewriter would not work. (have to recompile a whole new kernel still)

I must say that the pulg and play never worked during boot so i put the
whole thing in rc.local.

modprobe prism54
iwconfig eth1 essid Dogo1 mode ad-hoc channel 11 enc s:whatever commit

With the modprobe the eth1 goes up by itself and iwconfig does the rest
because the /etc/syscnfig/net/ifup_eth1 script is not being read.

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>Some of  you are reporting success / failure with Ad-hoc and/or Master.
>Please provide the kernel you are using. I failed to report that I'm using
>2.4. It seems that Master/Ad-Hoc works on 2.6.
>
>1. Is there anyone using 2.6 which doesn not have Master/Ad-Hoc working?
>2. Is there anyone using 2.4 with 2.4 with Master/Ad-Hoc working?
>
>By working I mean you just:
>
>modprobe prism54
>ifconfig eth1 up
>iwconfig eth1 mode Master
>	or
>iwconfig eth1 mode Ad-Hoc
>
>hvr had suggested we use prism54_mib_init() in the change mode ioctl, and
>we stopped since it breaks master mode. We can just make prism54_mib_init
>smarter to not set certain parameters if mode is Monitor.
>
>	Luis
>
>On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Feyd wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 07:00:29 +0100
>>feyd@seznam.cz wrote:
>>

>>>For me it works (in 2.6.0-test10) without the up/down cycle:
>>>
>>>ip l set eth1 up
>>>ip l set eth2 up
>>>
>>>iwconfig eth1 mode master essid x channel 7
>>>iwconfig eth2 mode managed essid x channel 7
>>>

>>The adhoc mode works for me too.
>>
>>Feyd

Rob Gipman
IP Consultant
MTN Uganda, Kampala
?   E-Mail:  Gipmanr@mtn.co.ug
?   Mobile:  +256 77 212010
?   Office:  +256 31 212010
?   WWW:    http://www.mtn.co.ug <http://www.mtn.co.ug/>
?   WWW:    http://www.xs4all.nl/~gippie/

--------------060505070502080106030807

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Luis,<br>
I had it working under the 2.4 kernel with pre9 and also for a moment
with rc5 untill i made a kernel compile mistake because the stupid
cdrewriter would not work. (have to recompile a whole new kernel still)<br>
I must say that the pulg and play never worked during boot so i put the
whole thing in rc.local.<br>
modprobe prism54<br>
iwconfig eth1 essid Dogo1 mode ad-hoc channel 11 enc s:whatever commit<br>
With the modprobe the eth1 goes up by itself and iwconfig does the rest
because the /etc/syscnfig/net/ifup_eth1 script is not being read.<br>
Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:<br>
 cite="midPine.LNX.4.44.0312021447060.10393-100000@studorgs.rutgers.edu">
  <pre wrap="">Some of  you are reporting success / failure with Ad-hoc and/or Master.