[Prism54-users] Cardservices and Prism54

Bradley Chapman kakadu_croc@yahoo.com
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 08:59:03 -0800 (PST)

Mr. Hegner,

--- "Stefan U. Hegner (Mobil)" <mobil@hegner-online.de> wrote:
> Hi there again,
>
> just decided to reword my problem - maybe you are not clear where I get
> stuck.
>
> Again, I get the Prism54 code to work (otherwise you would not read this
> email as I send it using the Wlan), but I have to do the iwconfig stuff
> everytime manually.
>
> After reading more docs I am pretty certain, that my problem is the
> integration of Prism54 into PCMCIA Cardservices.

Maybe not. Card Services handles PCMCIA cards. Hotplug handles Cardbus cards,
since Cardbus is a 32bit bus and is similar to PCI.

> My System is:
> Mandrake 9.1
> Vanilla 2.4.23 Kernel
> Wireless-Tools-26 and PCMCIA Cardservices-3.2.3-5mdk (I'm just
> downloading 3.2.5-1mdk to give this a shot)
>
> The question is: How do I get cardservices to work with Prism54 for
> automated config of the interface?

You don't. You need to play with the stuff in /etc/hotplug instead.

> Do you enter in the /etc/pcmcia/config the data from the card _before_
> or _after_ firmware upload via hotplug?
>
> Currently I put there:
>
> # device section
> device "prism54"
>   class "network" module "firmware_class", "prism54"
>
> # card section
> card "SMC EZ Connect g"
>   version "Intersil", "ISL3890"
>   bind "prism54"
>
> Could someone pls. check with working cardservices whether these entries
> are correct?
>
> What other possiblities for are there to look for errors?

Make sure you have the firmware.agent file in place and that the /proc file
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug points to /sbin/hotplug.

> Thanks a lot in advance
>
> Stefan.

Brad

=====