[Prism54-users] Re: [Prism54-devel] Prism54 development update

Denis Vlasenko vda at ilport.com.ua
Sat Sep 10 13:39:02 UTC 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 17:19, Sebastien wrote:
> > 1) make a arm .S file which, when compiled, gives you _exactly_ same
> >    image as reverse-engineered one.
> >
> > 2) heavily comment it (can be done by many people in parallel).
> >    Give symbolic names to labels, variables etc...
> >    (evolution: b 1234 -> b lbl_1234 -> b disable_tx)
> >
> > 3) when you feel it's more or less understood, try some
> >    more invasive changes (which change length of fw image and/or
> >    offsets of code/data).
> >
> > 4) if (3) runs without crashes, well, it's mostly done.
>
> This looks good, but one problem remains : the uploaded firmware is a
> self-extracing compressed binary. We'll *also* need to repack the firmware
> and run it exactly the way the official unpacker does. And this unpacker
> still accesses a few unknown hardware locations...

I do not fully understand this.

Do you have unpacked fw image?
Do you have full disassembly of it?
Did you reach the stage where you can run GCC on disasmed source
and obtain exactly same image?
Do you know how to convert uncompressed image back into compressed
form so that it could be loaded into real hardware?

BTW hardware available to me is 2 PCI fullmac cards.
--
vda