[Prism54-devel] [patch 0/6] [prism54 svn trunk] various fixes for prism54 svn

Maximilian Engelhardt maxi at daemonizer.de
Tue May 17 15:53:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 11:00 -0400, Bob Beers wrote:
> Thanks Maxi and Jeorg for your tips.  My apologies for
>  slowing things down.  I'm usually pretty good with
>  kernel/driver patches and compiling, so I'm really baffled
>  why I'm having these troubles.

no problem, if you want faster help, you can also join the prism54 IRC
channel, but there it may also take some time until someone answers (but
if you wail long enough I'm sure someone will help :)

> On 5/17/05, Mathias Bertelsen <mathiasb at email.dk> wrote:
> > If following this method still doesn't work, then try patching like this:
> >
> > patch -p1 -l <path_to_first_patch
> >
> > whitespace didn't match....
>
> I tried copying the patches again and noticed some errors in
>  my saved versions of the posted patches (don't know how
>  that happened, I was just copy/pasting.)
>
> So, since I like to try patches before really applying, so I usually do
> patch -p1 --verbose --dry-run < path_to_patch
> If it shows no errors, I remove the --dry-run and apply the patch.
> And on Maxi's suggestion, I also added the -l (loose whitespace)
>  option

I also usually test patches with --dry-run, I just omitted it because
they all applied cleanly on my system.

> Well, this works great for patch 1 and 2, but 3 gives me the following
>  error on the third patch:
>
> bbeers at alakazam:~/download/prism54/trunk$ patch -p1 -l --verbose
> --dry-run < ../jean-patches/jbn3.patch
> Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
> The text leading up to this was:
> --------------------------
> |===================================================================
> |--- trunk.orig/ksrc/islpci_dev.c        2005-05-15 11:44:54.000000000 +0200
> |+++ trunk/ksrc/islpci_dev.c     2005-05-15 11:57:32.000000000 +0200
> --------------------------
> Patching file ksrc/islpci_dev.c using Plan A...
> patch: **** malformed patch at line 6: }
>

> The problem, from my point of view, is that there is no line
> "  return reg;"  at or near line 213 of the file ksrc/islpci_dev.c.
> There is a "return 0;" at line 181, which is just before the
>  interrupt handler function.  Should I just proceed to apply this
>  patch manually, or am I still using the wrong source somhow?
> I'm building on a P4 system with Slackware 10.1.
>
> I am encouraged by others' reports of these patches being
>  helpful.  I do want to join that group.

I don't know why patching doesn't work for you. perhaps the patch got
somewhere corrupted between the mailing list and you hard disk or you
have a different version of the patch tool.
I put a patched version online for you, so you can try the patches:

http://home.daemonizer.de/prism54/prism54-svn=20050516-patched.tar.bz2

simply unpack, compile, install and test.

I hope now it works for you
Maxi