[Prism54-devel] [patch 0/6] [prism54 svn trunk] various fixes for prism54 svn

Bob Beers bob.beers at gmail.com
Tue May 17 15:00:01 UTC 2005

Thanks Maxi and Jeorg for your tips.  My apologies for
 slowing things down.  I'm usually pretty good with
 kernel/driver patches and compiling, so I'm really baffled
 why I'm having these troubles.

I installed svn and checked out trunk.

bbeers at alakazam:~/download/prism54$ svn co http://prism54.org/svn/prism54/trunk
A  trunk/kdoc
A  trunk/kdoc/kernel-doc
A  trunk/kdoc/docproc.c
A  trunk/kdoc/Makefile
A  trunk/kdoc/prism54.tmpl
A  trunk/patch-2.4-prism54
A  trunk/ksrc
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_mgt.h
A  trunk/ksrc/.todo
A  trunk/ksrc/prismcompat.h
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_wds.c
A  trunk/ksrc/ChangeLog
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_ap.c
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_wds.h
A  trunk/ksrc/prismcompat24.h
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_ap.h
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_dev.c
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_ioctl.c
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_38xx.c
A  trunk/ksrc/oid_mgt.c
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_eth.c
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_hotplug.c
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_ioctl.h
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_38xx.h
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_dev.h
A  trunk/ksrc/isl_oid.h
A  trunk/ksrc/oid_mgt.h
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_eth.h
A  trunk/ksrc/islpci_mgt.c
A  trunk/ksrc/Makefile.k24
A  trunk/ksrc/Makefile
A  trunk/ksrc/.cvsignore
A  trunk/ksrc/Makefile.k26
A  trunk/patch-2.6-prism54
A  trunk/lindent.sh
A  trunk/prism54-firmware.spec
A  trunk/Makefile
A  trunk/README
Checked out revision 530.

On 5/17/05, Mathias Bertelsen <mathiasb at email.dk> wrote:
> If following this method still doesn't work, then try patching like this:
>
> patch -p1 -l <path_to_first_patch
>
> whitespace didn't match....

I tried copying the patches again and noticed some errors in
 my saved versions of the posted patches (don't know how
 that happened, I was just copy/pasting.)

So, since I like to try patches before really applying, so I usually do
patch -p1 --verbose --dry-run < path_to_patch
If it shows no errors, I remove the --dry-run and apply the patch.
And on Maxi's suggestion, I also added the -l (loose whitespace)
 option

Well, this works great for patch 1 and 2, but 3 gives me the following
 error on the third patch:

bbeers at alakazam:~/download/prism54/trunk$ patch -p1 -l --verbose
--dry-run < ../jean-patches/jbn3.patch
Hmm...  Looks like a unified diff to me...
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|===================================================================
|--- trunk.orig/ksrc/islpci_dev.c        2005-05-15 11:44:54.000000000 +0200
|+++ trunk/ksrc/islpci_dev.c     2005-05-15 11:57:32.000000000 +0200
--------------------------
Patching file ksrc/islpci_dev.c using Plan A...
patch: **** malformed patch at line 6: }

The problem, from my point of view, is that there is no line
"  return reg;"  at or near line 213 of the file ksrc/islpci_dev.c.
There is a "return 0;" at line 181, which is just before the
 interrupt handler function.  Should I just proceed to apply this
 patch manually, or am I still using the wrong source somhow?
I'm building on a P4 system with Slackware 10.1.

I am encouraged by others' reports of these patches being
 helpful.  I do want to join that group.

-Bob