[Prism54-devel] documentation used for prism54 driver authoring

Samuel Ortiz samuel.ortiz at nokia.com
Wed Jun 15 21:39:12 UTC 2005

Hi Jean-Baptiste,

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005, ext Jean-Baptiste Note wrote:

> > I understand the project is now abandoned, has it been superseded by
> > the driver included in the kernel? Is this based on the source from
> > this project, or is it the same project?
>
> I'd like clarification on this one, too, because i've got a ton of
> patches that i'd like to see included in the kernel eventually, because
> they seem to improve the driver for many people.
I agree with that, but the problem is that they didn't even make it to the
prism54 svn tree.

> The project is *not* abandonned, there are huge improvements to be made
> to the driver, and fullmac chips are still made and widely used in the
> embedded market. But lack of documentation means we have to somewhat
> guess some things. As was the case for proper WDS state change.
WPA is an important missing piece as well. I'm working on it.

> The situation is obviously worse with softmac.
>
> Are you interested in doing some development ? -- i'll help as much as i
> can, and maybe we can ask some kernel people about what we should do to
> get the patches into the kernel. If anyone's listening...
I think the "proper" way should be to have Luis accept or reject your
patches and then send regular updates to kernel.org (probably Jeff Garzik
in that case). If Luis doesn't have time/motivation for integrating
patches to the SVN tree and then forwarding them upstream, then he should
let us know and then we can work that out.

Cheers,
Samuel.