[Prism54-devel] Re: [Prism54-users] Programmability of Prism GT and Activities of prism54

Maximilian Engelhardt maxi at daemonizer.de
Thu Jun 2 18:51:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 12:08 +0200, Burak Simsek wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> as far as I understood from the home page of prism54, there is no new
> activity going on. Is there a problem with prism54?

That's wrong. There is development going on, although it's a bit slow.
And yes, there is a problem. Conexant, that hat bought Intersil, seems
to completely ignore non M$ OSes, so have to reverse engineer then new
prism 802.11g chipsets. ATM most work is done by Jean-Baptiste Note. You
can view the current state here: http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/
When browsing trough the mailing list archive you will notice that
there's development going on. It's just not mentioned on the main site
because Luis seems to be away so no one can update the site.

> Other question is, I have to modify some 802.11 functionalities and
> also programm 802.11e enhancement. Which one of the prism chipsets
> allow me to do this? Are the firmwares programmable?

There are two sorts of firmwares. The older are called fullmac and are
the ones the current prism54 driver works will. They handle most things
so the driver has to do less work. I think the only information about
these firmwares is the prism54 driver. The newer ones are called softmac
and work with every prism 802.11g chipset (the fullmac only work with
the "older" devices). The softmac firmwares are used by Jean-Baptiste's
driver and are quite raw which means you have a lot freedom in sending
out specific data frames. But they are not fully reverse engineered yet.

I can't help you with your 802.11e question, but I hope the information
above will be useful for you.

Maxi