[Prism54-devel] FreeBSD advances

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jan 24 17:00:26 UTC 2005

Hello Feyd, Sebastien, dear list,

Feyd <feyd at seznam.cz> said :

>> given channel, to see if, and what, i emit. Isn't ethereal only dumping
>> 802.3 frames ?
>
> It can display 802.11 very well (the card has to be in monitor mode).
Okay, thanks ! That's really awesome.

> Some of them could be caused by the driver reusing the buffers and leaving
> garbage in the fields it doesn't have to touch, the frames themselvs begin
> at 0x4c, not at 0x4a as I mistakenly thought before, and not all the attached
> frames were probe requests

> (begin with 80 00 00 00 (I tried ad-hoc mode), those are template based too).
> I will put the logs at http://sweb.cz/feyd/partialy_analyzed.
Thanks again!

Actually, you were right too. See :
http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/DataSent.html

Data frames (not mgmt ones) are beginning at offset 0x4a... How annoying...

Question is : how do you distinguish template frames, from non-template
ones ? i'd imagine for instance that authentication frames (beginning
with zeroes) are not to be sent repeatedly.

I think there's a link with the following packets, repeated, meaningless
packets :

    00000000: 01 80 08 00 00 00 00 00 0d 00 00 00 03 00 03 00
    00000010: 03 00 00 00

(...) which may mean : resend the frame send previously...
active testing needed :/

--
Jean-Baptiste Note
+33 (0)6 83 03 42 38