[Prism54-devel] Regarding Channel ...

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Thu Oct 28 08:32:55 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 08:50:00AM +0100, durga prasad wrote:
> Hi friends ,
>
> I am implementing a WLAN Sniffer for the following configuration.
>
> Netgear WG511 with Prism chipset 3880 and am using prism54 driver.
> I didn't get more information about private IOCTL's for getting required information directly from firmware , which is not present in packet .
>
> Now here my problem is getting channel number.
>
> I am setting the card using " iwconfig eth0 mode monitor ".
> I am capturing packets and analysing them but it doesn't contain channel.
>
> so i request you please answer to these questions :
>
> 1.Can I get the channel information for each packet or we have fix the channel first and start scanning.

The driver is just setting itself to receive all data possible. Not sure
what may be causing the channel not to show up to be honest. Maybe
firmware bug? Can you try another firmware?

> 2.Is it possible to scan in different channels , changing from one channel to another.

I do not think so as Monitor mode for the card means not being stuck to
a channel.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E