[Prism54-devel] Conexant cards for microcontrollers?

Pieter Kapsenberg pieter.kapsenberg at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 18:24:57 UTC 2004

Hey guys

I am doing a design project with an ARM board from Atmel, and was
hoping to hook a 802.11g card to it (been looking at NetGear WG511). I
have been talking to Conexant and the gave me a PrismGT/Indigo/Duette
driver programmer's manual.

I received conflicting information from the Sales rep though:
Unfortunately an NDA is needed for the PrismGT chipset you are
acquiring about. Not as much because of the infor but so that Conexant
can manage their time with there Limited resources. We do have an
approach however that may allow you to move forward. This would in
tale using our Frisbee product and not Javelin softmac (prism GT)as we
can not offer any support.

Your best bet would be to find a Frisbee radio and try to work your
way through the attached document for the FullMAC f/w.

One way you can tell whether you have a Javelin or Frisbee radio is to
plug the radio in a PC running Windows, and if the OS recognizes a
3880 device it is a Frisbee radio, and if it reports a 3886 device it
is Javelin.

Even then, you will need the FullMAC binary f/w to download it to the
radio upon power up.
Maybe you will be able to find a copy of the publicly available
FullMAC f/w along with a lot of documentation from http://prism54.org/

So hopefully I will be able to write a simple driver for my ARM board,
as it will not be running an OS.

What I am trying to figure out is the following:
- What chipset does WG511 use (Frisbee or PrismGT)
- If it's Frisbee, can I use my document I got from Conexant?
- Are Frisbee cards always FullMAC?
- If not, what cards are based on FullMac Frisbee?
- Is there firmware for Frisbee cards available?
- What is the difference between FullMAC & SoftMAC?

Thanks,
Pieter Kapsenberg
--
http://dropman.com