[Prism54-devel] Re: [NEWS] Prism54 and Conexant resume talks on firmware license agreements

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Thu, 20 May 2004 23:52:15 -0400

--eHrxbAcqt/LxKPZN

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:07:41PM -0500, Matt Lehman wrote:
> >/=20
> />/ I'm pleased to announce that we've resumed talks with Conexant regard=
ing
> />/ a license issue for the firmware required to use the prism54 driver. =
The
> />/ license we are persuing will allow for free redistribution of
> />/ the firmware. This in turn, would allow for distributions to include =
it
> />/ within their releases.
> />/=20
> />/ A side topic being discussed is obtaining specifications for the Prism
> />/ GT/Duette/Intersil chipsets to further enhance the driver. We are also
> />/ looking to obtain specifications to support the new firmware
> />/ architecture for new devices and for full USB support. We'll keep you
> />/ posted.
> />/=20
> />/ 	Luis/
>=20
>=20
> It would be wonderful if they were able to help in this way.  I have a=20
> question though: I sent an email from myself once to their literature=20
> request address on the conexant site asking for them to help this=20
> project with specific requests and a plea not to ignore a significant=20
> portion of its user base (computer enthusiasts and Linux users), but=20
> they told me I'd have to contact a regional sales office for such a=20
> request.  I doubt my request to them made it to anybody relevent, and I=
=20
> did not make a second attempt to contact them.
>=20
> In your opinion, would it be wise to just wait for your negotiations to=
=20
> finish and for individuals NOT try to contact Conexant, or would=20
> petitioning Conextant be a good idea?
>=20
> A big thank you to everybody who contributes to this project.

Matt,

thanks for your concern and efforts. At this point I'd say Conexant is
well aware of our project, our efforts and *is* actively trying to
assist us. So contacting Conexant now will probably not do much since
the right people already know about the project and they are doing their be=
st to
assist us. Reiterating: they are doing a great job in following up with thi=
s project=20
and I believe we are on a good path.

We'll keep everyone posted with advances. Thanks.

--=20
GnuPG Key fingerprint =3D 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E

--eHrxbAcqt/LxKPZN

--eHrxbAcqt/LxKPZN--