[Prism54-devel] Re: [NEWS] Prism54 and Conexant resume talks on firmware license agreements

Matt Lehman ml380sl_public@comcast.net
Thu, 20 May 2004 22:07:41 -0500

>/
/>/ I'm pleased to announce that we've resumed talks with Conexant regarding
/>/ a license issue for the firmware required to use the prism54 driver. The
/>/ license we are persuing will allow for free redistribution of
/>/ the firmware. This in turn, would allow for distributions to include it
/>/ within their releases.
/>/
/>/ A side topic being discussed is obtaining specifications for the Prism
/>/ GT/Duette/Intersil chipsets to further enhance the driver. We are also
/>/ looking to obtain specifications to support the new firmware
/>/ architecture for new devices and for full USB support. We'll keep you
/>/ posted.
/>/
/>/ 	Luis/

It would be wonderful if they were able to help in this way.  I have a
question though: I sent an email from myself once to their literature
request address on the conexant site asking for them to help this
project with specific requests and a plea not to ignore a significant
portion of its user base (computer enthusiasts and Linux users), but
they told me I'd have to contact a regional sales office for such a
request.  I doubt my request to them made it to anybody relevent, and I
did not make a second attempt to contact them.

In your opinion, would it be wise to just wait for your negotiations to
finish and for individuals NOT try to contact Conexant, or would
petitioning Conextant be a good idea?

A big thank you to everybody who contributes to this project.

ML