[Prism54-devel] ISL3890-0.0.5 or ISL3890-0.1.0 on 2.2.x or 2.4.0 kernel

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 16:32:54 -0500

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 10:03:11PM +0100, Martin Dummer wrote:
> >From my actual point of view a different source for older kernels is not
> necessary (but see my MODULE_PARAM patch.... this may change your mind).
>
> The changes necessary for the older kernels are firmware load support and
> wireless tools API update - so nothing within the prism54 driver.
> (actually....)

Ahh. Just in case, if you're working on changing the kernel for an
embedded system *with* prism54 see the isl3893 project:

http://isl3893.sourceforge.net/

ISL3893 is an ARM9 SoC (System On Chip) made by Intersil which contains
2 eth, 1 AES encryption module, USB1.1Host (no power), JTAG, MMCs,
serial, etc. This chip is used with the isl3680 to built cheap 54g
wireless access points.

It has one card which can make use of the prism54 driver. For now its
using the old Intersil source for the wireless card. It relies on older
kernels.

We could bring that project into our CVS rep and have the prism54 module
be just one aspect of the project as a whole.

> But I'm not very experienced in organizing programming projects - if I
> understand it correctly it would only make sense if the code for older
> kernels has major differences from the standard codebase.

Yes that is correct. And I am aware of what some of those changes are.
Here is a list from what I can remember:

* the firmware laod as you pointed out
* module_param(/MODULE_PARAM(
* Workqueues (?)

> I think it is actually affordable with some #if statements, so no extra
> codebase should be necessary.

Ugh I think we'd be pushing it with more #if statements for older
kernels. We can do the review of all the changes required and if they're
not a lot we could add them.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E