[Prism54-devel] Possible prism54 softmac software

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 23 16:20:08 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 10:28:21AM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> While on  IRC, Viddy informed me that he found the following URLs:
>
> 09:15 < Viddy> you guys might like to know this: There is an 802.11g
> with the thin firmware sold by a company in nz,
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/40d977e1061a835c273fc0a87f990719/Product/View/XH8196
> they have some source drivers on thier
> webpage here:
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?40d977e1061a835c273fc0a87f990719+EN/catalogs/SUPXH8196
> with the actual 3meg source
> file here:
> http://www.dse.co.nz/isroot/dse/support/XH8196-linux.zip
>
> Quick review shows this could indeed be the Softmac driver source base
> that will allow us to support for Prism Xbow/Javelin chipsets. I don't necessarily
> like the license and I also noticed they used pcmcia-cs again (not necessary).
> Anyway, just wanted to relay the information. A lot of work ahead of us.
>
> Please review, poke, poke, etc.

OK well good news is this *is* softmac code. The bad news aren't that bad:

- this code is old, and very very alpha
- the driver code is:

	1. redistributable
	2. you can modify source but you must provide source

  Some files have just this as the license, and some are purely GPL'd.

Because of this, feel free to poke at it but just keep in mind that Conexant may
provide us with a much much more updated and better source base
for a softmac based driver.

Because of this, use it just for your own research/playing. I wouldn't be
surprised if that link goes down soon though.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E