[Prism54-devel] Prism54 kernel patches accepted

Margit Schubert-While margitsw at t-online.de
Sat Jun 19 00:03:10 UTC 2004

At 22:49 18.06.2004 +0200, Jens scribeth:

>Margit Schubert-While wrote:
>>- wmb() -> smp_wmb()
>
>I'm not sure why you would want to change that in most
>situations.
>
>The wmb() that are in islpci_eth.c between updating the
>fragment information and making the fragment available
>for the device are required.
>
>smp_smb() expands to a simple gcc-level memory barrier
>("flush all registers to main memory").  It does not
>deal with imposing ordering on writes for out-of-order
>CPUs (IDT Winchip), and that is what we need for
>our communication with the device here.

Then that is a problem with the includes.
Change made to capture SMP/UP situation.
It CANNOT be wrong (except when the system incliudes
are wrong)
(check expansion in ALL arches for wmb -> smp_wmb, UP/SMP)
Also, these patches have been long enogh availaible for comment !
Cheers
Margit