[Prism54-devel] Re: fix for islpci_dev.h

Margit Schubert-While margitsw@t-online.de
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 23:11:28 +0100

Well I'll throw in my one cent worth.
It really isn't a pain to include these lines as we can protect them with
#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE < KERNEL_VERSION(2,4,23)

Total cost 4 lines.
One of the problems with 2.4 vanilla kernels is the lack of integrated packages
(Alsa and sensors, just to name 2). So in fact I tend to go with the
distro's kernels
as a base. A Linux newbie will certainly be put off by the statement that
he has
to gen a vaniila kernel. (And then he wonders why other things stop working)
With actual distro's, the 2/4 line patch and the tarball, all we have to do
is run the
make as documented and we are up and running (hopefully).
Vote : Put the 4 lines in and document the minimum distro kernel that that
is required.
(For Suse 2.4.21-99, default with 9.0)

Margit