[Prism54-devel] New revision of SMC 2802W card, Firmware 2.4.3.0

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:52:26 -0500 (EST)

Karsten,

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004, Karsten Richter wrote:

> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > Hello Karsten,
> >
> > Your driver should have come with an .arm file. That's the firmware.
> > Use
> > that and let us know how it goes.
>
> Hi Luis,
>
> unfortunately it doesn't... The driver is completely different from the
> prior versions (downloaded the older one from smc.com). There are only
> those two .SYS files (2802W.SYS and 2802W51.SYS) which are 380kB each
> (v1 drivers were 50-90k) the .arm is integrated in the drivers.
> If someone's interested in the driver files, let me know, I will send
> driver by personal mail.
>
> The card even looks very different from the V1 card. This card is a real
> PCI card not one of those mini-pci+adapter ones which the old one seems
> to be, so it seems to be a complete redesign...

Some drivers do use soft firmware and by that I mean firmware which
has the firmware listed as series as hex values and just leaves the 0x00's
out. This can save some space. I recently saw a linux driver that uses
this. This could be done to our driver too but we'd have to write up a .h
or .c file with a hex struct dump of the firmware. We'd defnitely have
to redisign our driver a bit. Using a hexdump of the firmware for our
driver as a source file may not be legal though.

Can anyone advise?

This would also allow our driver to be complete.

Perhaps the new SMC uses this technique.

	Luis