[Prism54-devel] Separating access point functionality in the driver

Jens Maurer Jens.Maurer@gmx.net
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 10:54:03 +0100

Hello!

We're getting increasingly more access-point only functionality
in the driver, e.g. the recent WPA supplicant support or the
MAC accept/reject functionality. That's good.

However, it seems that client-only use would not need these
features. Also, there's probably a majority of people that
use their card client-only mode.

As a long-term goal, we should have islpci_ap.[ch] files
that contain all the high-level access point functionality
currently present in isl_ioctl.c  (that file is > 60KB at
the moment, anyway).
We should also have a compile-time configuration switch
CONFIG_..._AP to enable/disable the AP functionality.
We should also check whether we can share some of the
functionality with the 11Mbps prism2.5 driver and/or some
other WLAN drivers.  It appears to me that maintaining
a MAC-based ACL or the WPA supplicant support may be
needed by a lot of WLAN drivers having AP functionality.

Jens Maurer