[Prism54-devel] SIOCGIWNAME usage

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr@hvrlab.org
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 14:47:19 +0100

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 02:22:05PM +0100, Jens Maurer wrote:
> Returning something useful as an added benefit might get extra
> bonus points :-)

*g*

> >I don't see, why SIOCGIWNICKN should return the model name (I
> >actually don't understand the meaning of this attribute, but my
> >intuition tells me, that using the model name as a nickname seems
> >strange...)

> Siunce there's also an SIOCSIWNICKN to set the nickname...
> Looking at some other drivers, it appears to really be
> used as a nickname, mostly user-settable.  And you can get
> the card name from "lspci", if the database has been
> well-maintained.

if I get you right, you are voting for not touching SIOCGIWNICKN, and
letting SIOCGIWNAME return some more anonymous string...

I'd vote for this too (but what string do we return in-place? 802.11g?
802.11a? 802.11a/b/g? should the value be static, or dynamic based on
whether we're running a,b,g or some combination of it? -- that's
actually why I never bothered to bring the SIOCGIWNAME issue up... as
it would require some thoughts about it ;)))

but it wasn't me who implemented SIOCGIWNAME the way it is now; mcgrof
introduced this sometime at the end of nov2003;

mcgrof? what do you think about it? :-)

ps: for some reason you always succeed in missing me in #prism54-devel...

--
Herbert Valerio Riedel       /    Phone: (EUROPE) +43-1-58801-18840
Email: hvr@hvrlab.org       /    Finger hvr@gnu.org for GnuPG Public Key