[Prism54-devel] SIOCGIWNAME usage

Jens Maurer Jens.Maurer@gmx.net
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 14:22:05 +0100

Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> while I'm tempted to agree with the SIOCGIWNAME part... (which
> actually just needs returns some dummy string - so there's absolutely
> no requirement of returning anything useful...)...

Returning something useful as an added benefit might get extra
bonus points :-)

> I don't see, why SIOCGIWNICKN should return the model name (I
> actually don't understand the meaning of this attribute, but my
> intuition tells me, that using the model name as a nickname seems
> strange...)

Siunce there's also an SIOCSIWNICKN to set the nickname...
Looking at some other drivers, it appears to really be
used as a nickname, mostly user-settable.  And you can get
the card name from "lspci", if the database has been
well-maintained.

Jens Maurer