[Prism54-devel] Fragments for transmit; copy skbuf on receive?

Jens Maurer Jens.Maurer@gmx.net
Thu, 01 Jan 2004 13:27:05 +0100

Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> yeah, i know... i should have mentioned this possibility... but I
> assumed we wanted to simplify the code... :-)

Ok.

>>Is there some specification of the firmware interface available
>>in text form?  Yes, I'm reading the IEEE MIBs, and that helps
>>a little, but there's certainly more to it.
>
> alas there's no freely distributable specification, since the firmware
> is proprietary as well;

Just to clarify: I understand and accept that the firmware is
closed-source and there are no specifications for the inner
workings of the device, i.e. how the firmware operates so
that (in theory) you could write your own.

I was asking about a specification for the GPL driver-visible
interface of the device to the computer, i.e. basically the
message interchange business: Which mgmt messages can you send,
what do they do, how do you turn off the radio, etc.
I can't see that this has valuable trade secrets in it,
because the driver is GPL anyway.

> I've been told it's there for future use (for OOB data and similiar
> high-priority stuff) but not supported by the firmware yet; so far
> only the low priority queues are used by the firmware;

Ah, ok, so "high" refers to "high priority", not to "highmem"
(> 4GB RAM) or somesuch.

Thanks!

Jens Maurer