[Prism54-devel] [Gentoo] Firmware legal details (mirroring, ebuilds, liveCDs)

Peter Johanson latexer@gentoo.org
Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:47:24 -0500

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

hey all,

I'm planning on adding driver snapshots to Gentoo's portage soon, but
before doing so i wanted to inquire on some details of the firmware from
a legal standpoint. The fact that they are distributed separetely from
the driver tarball in binary form has made me very hesitant to treat
them like just another file. (:

1) Downloading - Is Gentoo's portage legally allowed to automatically
download the firmware images for the user, or is the user required to
download them (with some prompting) on their own?

2) Mirroring - (obviously somewhat dependant on the 1st item) Are we
allowed to mirror firmware images? (in the case that portage can legally
download them on it's own)

3) LiveCDs - I'd love eventually to add this as one of the available
drivers for installation from our liveCDs (not going to make the 2004.0
release no matter what) but again i'm not sure what we can legally do w/
regards to distribution.

I looked through some of the ML archives and info on the site regarding
what the exact legal status of these binary images were, and couldn't
find anything. If i just missed something, could you point me in the
right direction, otherwise could some clarification be made?

TIA,

-pete
--=20
Peter Johanson
<latexer@gentoo.org>

Key ID =3D 0x6EFA3917
Key fingerprint =3D A90A 2518 57B1 9D20 9B71  A2FF 8649 439B 6EFA 3917

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo

--envbJBWh7q8WU6mo--