[Prism54-devel] Net2280 usage

Feyd feyd at seznam.cz
Tue Dec 21 12:38:51 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:55:24 +0100
Jean-Baptiste Note <jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I'd like to program the net2280 to be a PCI snooper that is to say,
> there'd be a "observed" system where i plug the pci card along with a
> "to be reverse-engeneered card", an "observer" system where i plug the
> USB2 cable. The "to be reverse-engeneered card" starts to talk to the
> card, and the net2280 card would "see" what happens on the bus, and send
> the PCI transactions over to the observer system. Kind of what we do
> with USBSnoop, save that this does not seem possible purely in software
> mode with the pci bus.

I don't know for sure but I guess that both sides do assert various pins
during a PCI transaction.

> The question now is : do you have enough knowledge of the net2280 to
> determine if its PCI engine is programmable enough that we can put it in
> "promiscuous mode", and capture *all* transactions on the bus, and not
> only the ones adresses to the peripheral (this is "electrically
> possible", i've seen it done with a PCI implementation on an FPGA chip).

I know only the bits that I learned when playing with the prism USB dongle.
If what you seen was based on the net2280 then it should indeed work.

> This would help, for instance, to re-build the madwifi "hal"
> into source, or help produce more drivers for pci cards for which
> windows drivers are available.

Maybe ndiswrapper could be modified to trap access to the PCI
configuration and device adress space.

Feyd