[Prism54-devel] usb advances

Feyd feyd at seznam.cz
Fri Dec 17 15:46:12 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 00:05:45 +0100
Jean-Baptiste Note <jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi Feyd, Ian, Sebastien, dear List,
>
> I think i have completed at long last the frequency change for the usb
> devices. This is tested and works on both my iogear (recent very small
> usb device) and linksys (big old one, with the big ol' chipset) devices,
> which are as far apart as they can. There's still a field unknown to me
> in the frequency change packet, but it seems to work as is.
>
> I'd like to have your feedback on this, as i feel this is rather solid
> (much more than last time, thanks Ian).

How do you search for the frequency change packets in the log? The driver
is very noisy even when there is nothing happening. I wrote a patch for the
ndiswrapper to log the urbs in a more readable way, still it is difficult to see
what is going on.

> Next steps :
>
> * make rx in skbs, in order to pass the packets to the madwifi layer (is
>   this at all possible ? -- i'm only starting to learn skbs). For now
>   the packets are dmesg'd, so beware, if you tune to a busy frequency
>   you'll fast get heavy logs.
>
> * find out how to generate the last fields in the frequency change
>   packets. There seems to be some change later in the freq. change
>   packets (when we're not in scan mode any more but we definitively set
>   the frequency), try to understand this.
>
> * find out how to /send/ packets : this shouldn't be too difficult.

I was wrong in my last mail, only packets that make it into to the air have
6c 06 02 00 as very first prefix (verified with third card in monitor mode),
the 00 02 02 00 are perhaps a kind of management.

> Feyd, i think that the code in the arch repo is far from ripe for
> inclusion in the central prism54 CVS repo, but i don't want to deprive
> myself of your help for instance... :) How do we handle this ? Are you
> (or any potential helper) familiar with arch ?

I don't know arch at all and cvs only a bit (the archive was put there by
Luis :)

Feyd