[Prism54-devel] [prism54-usb] DWL-G122 and FW 2.4.6.0 differences

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 10 12:54:06 UTC 2004

Hello,
> I'm still struggling with getting a log dump that I find usefull, that I
> can compare with others. I have tried usbsnoop and ndiswrapper.

Well I don't know what you mean by usefull, but you'll find here
http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/data/usbsnoop-logs/
snoop logs from various devices, courtesy of their respective senders.

And i have put here the dumps that I had a look at and what sense i made
of them mac-wise (you'll find more info in the code regarding the other
fields ; i'll put them on the page as i re-learn them :/

http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/MgmtMeaning.html

Originally I had no knowledge of the second packet, my code only
accomodates the first and third one, but recent devices do need a more
in-depth knowledge. For now it seems that the magic key

04 00 01 01

always introduces the MAC.

> I think there are several substructures encoded in the management frame.
> As Feyd says they must have markers or lenghts in there some where. I
> can't make sense of it yet.

Nor can I. What i know is in the code : after the mac, there are several
references to the available frequencies on the device, with data fields
that are used later to generate at least the frequency change packets.
I'm not familiar with 802.11b, so i don't really know what the meaning
of these fields are, but the logic that i could made of them is in the
code.

> Looking at the frame from my device the offset to the MAC address is
> different. It looks like something is missing prior to that. Everything
> else is obviously at different offsets as well. I haven't looked further
> as I'd like to get the MAC address encoding right first.

Hum, could you perchance send me one of your usbsnoop logs so that i may
have a look too ? (if you already did, i apologize, and i'll look for it
in the archives...)

JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Note