[Prism54-devel] [prism54-usb] DWL-G122 and FW 2.4.6.0 differences

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Fri Dec 10 06:52:40 UTC 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Jean-Baptiste Note wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Feyd <feyd at seznam.cz> said :
> > On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 15:52:36 +0800 (WST)
> > Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:
> >

> >> Given that the DWL-G122 using firmware 2.4.6.0 appears to have different
> >> offsets for (at least) the MAC address and the frequencies in the
> >> management frame, how should we handle this?
> >
> > I doubt that the API differs among the SotfMAC firmwares (it is possible
> > though). More likely the frame start doesn't have to match an offset after
> > the USB transfer start, rather it is marked somehow. If that is the case
> > we can find how by comparing the frames. Can you post your frame and the
> > different one? Mine folows.
>
> I think that the current code does this. At least I knew some time ago
> where to look for the offset, which seemed indeed encoded in the
> management frame :) I'll have a look at this this evening.
>
> >> Should a decode function be used to capture the differences in a single
> >> place or do we want multiple structure definitions?
>
> >From what i gathered, a decode function is undoubtedly better, because
> there are so many firmwares :)

I'm still struggling with getting a log dump that I find usefull, that I
can compare with others. I have tried usbsnoop and ndiswrapper.

I think there are several substructures encoded in the management frame.
As Feyd says they must have markers or lenghts in there some where. I
can't make sense of it yet.

Looking at the frame from my device the offset to the MAC address is
different. It looks like something is missing prior to that. Everything
else is obviously at different offsets as well. I haven't looked further
as I'd like to get the MAC address encoding right first.

Ian