[Prism54-devel] handle mgmt timeouts by resetting hardware

Denis Vlasenko vda at port.imtp.ilyichevsk.odessa.ua
Tue Aug 10 13:23:30 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 11:22, Margit Schubert-While wrote:
> At 00:49 07.08.2004 +0300, Denis scribeth:
> >Hi Luis,
> >
> >Please remove me from list of maintainers of prism54 driver,
> >mailing list admins, and remove my name from prism54.org
> >webpages.
> >
> >My code was repeatedly shown to be buggy and of bad quality
> >in general. Therefore I think I do not qualify for these
> >positions.
>
> Well, somebody has to play the devil's advocate !
> You know that you would get the same (or worse) on the
> netdev and/or kernel mailing lists :-)

I know what I will get on lkml, I am there for many years,
thank you very much for your tutoring. I never saw people
flamed there about whitespace (or lack thereof) around ==.

> Don't take it to heart, I've been there myself :-)
> As is said, if you can't stand the heat, don't go into the
> kitchen :-)
>
> Anyway back to patches (here I go again :-)  )
> setrate - User parameter parsing in kernel? - No way.
> This stuff belongs in user space ie. wireless tools.

Care to explain why?

> Define with Jean some conceivable method of passing
> the info. (Assuming .5Mbps increments and that Gigabit WLAN
> is coming, maybe something like a 256-byte bitmap, eeek)

I disagree. Parsing binary data will be as difficult,
plus you get all the headaches of binary data being
less extendable and less readable. So, why painfully parse
ASCII into binary format in wireless tools and then _again_
painfully parse 'generic wireless' binary format
into one understood by particular hardware?

However, I will promptly change my mind as soon as you
will describe at least semi-sane binary format for it.
No, 256-bit bitmap is not sane (will crash and burn
in the instant some new modulation appear in new 802.11something
standard). What will you do if (oh no) 256 bits is
suddenly not enough anymore?

BTW, ASCII parser is under 1k. prism54 driver is ~80k, acx111 one with debugging -
~170k. You are arguing against 0.4% size increase here.

I once sent a patch (inline removal) for prism54 which shrunk it by ~1k.
With similar acx111 patch, I cut it down by 50k.
--
vda