[Prism54-devel] 11g clients donot associate when in AP mode with MLME level EXTENDED ...

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Thu Aug 5 08:15:27 UTC 2004

Anjan,

On Thu, Aug 05, 2004 at 12:46:07PM +0530, anjan wrote:
> Hi ,
>   Has anyone cared to ever run the card in MLME mode EXTENDED.

You probably already know this, but yes me.

> I stated
> the problems in my previous posting. Now inorder to have WPA support,
> the card must be run in EXTENDED mode otherwise the RSNIE attachment
> wouldn't show up in the BEACON and PROBE RESPONSE frames.

Yes, this is why I have been running it in extended mode for my testing.

> In mlme
> extended mode, do we require to frame the Auth and Assoc Resp frames or
> simply set the mlme status code to SUCCESS (= 0) and set the mlmeex
> object , and the firmware will handle the rest.

I do not know for sure. I'll ask around.

> The present driver in AP
> mode seems to be incomplete in handling association from 11g clients
> when run in mlme extended mode.

I believe this is due to the fact that we currently do not know for sure the
pattern of oids to set and in what order, and how to commit properly for
extended mode. I suggest we go dive into the old code and review how
this was handled as I believe this was being handled correctly.

One quick idea: try setting config mode to auto, instead of manual run.
The card runs in auto mode by default and back with the old driver we
always had it in auto mode. We introduced manual run to force a static
ssid to be stable when run as a STA, and to keep other settings saved.

>   I had successfully implemented WPA (PSK mode) in the prismGT card but
> for the driver versions before prism54-1.1 (and without using the hostAP
> user space authenticator).

Excellent.

> I feel before we add WPA support, we should
> contentrate first on getting the present driver work flawlessly in mlme
> extended mode. As I memtioned in my previous mail, the 11g client cards'
> utilities refuse to associate in extended mode, I think this aspect must
> be a high priority TODO now.

Well said! Let's do that. I have most of the code done to interact with
wpa_supplicant though. I just need some final details, then to clean up,
and obviously to fix these extended mode problems we're running into.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E