[Prism54-users] p54u 0.6 released

Sebastien sebastien.bourdeauducq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 19:15:18 UTC 2005

Hello list !

This major release includes many changes coming from firmware reverse
engineering.

First, it includes basic support for FreeMAC, the firmware we are rewriting
from scratch (currently unusable for normal users).
To reflect this change, the firmware files and the utilities have been renamed
(because "LMAC", "LMTERM" and "SMCTL" refer to Conexant's system)

Moreover, the driver is now able to compute the X2 header on its own (needed
for uploading firmware on the 3887), allowing arbitrary code execution on
this chip.
In previous versions, this header had to be extracted from Windows drivers
logs.

The memory allocation system (from which comes the previously called "SoftMAC
addresses") has been reverse engineered. Most of the device's failures came
from the poor handling of those in previous p54u versions.

All the SoftMAC protocol code has been rewritten and cleaned up. The driver
architecture has been completely reworked, it is far more stable and no
longer relies on giant locking.

We got GPL code extracted from AP firmwares, which allowed to rewrite a quite
complete BRA parser, allowing the driver to probe various options about the
firmware it's currently loading (and which were poorly defined as constants
in previous versions).
This allows automatic FreeMAC firmware detection, among others.
(FreeMAC developers : for this to work, you need to add a BRA with firmware
type set to "FMAC" instead of "LM86"/"LM87" - I'll update the online version
soon)

Download this code from http://lekernel.lya-fr.com/prism54_freebsd.html

Regards,
Sebastien