[Prism54-users] do I need to download a driver for 2.6.11 ?

Ulrich Lauther ulrich.lauther at siemens.com
Tue May 24 07:04:59 UTC 2005

> > /etc/hotplug and in /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/ (where SHOULD it go?).
> >
> The other error messages are all related to the firmware loading
> failure.
> Run "grep FIRMWARE_DIR= /etc/hotplug/firmware.agent" to find out where
> the firmware to put, but it's usually one of the locations you already
> put it in.
>
> You must name the file "isl3890" not "isl3890.arm" so remove the ".arm"
> and try again.

unfortunately, I read
http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/802.11g/Documentation/
which seems to be outdated and claims the .arm extension is needed.

After removing it and putting the driver in the right place, I get in
dmesg:
	eth2: resetting device...
	eth2: uploading firmware...
	eth2: firmware version: 1.0.4.3
	eth2: firmware upload complete
	eth2: no 'reset complete' IRQ seen - retrying
	eth2: no 'reset complete' IRQ seen - retrying
	eth2: interface reset failure
	prism54: Your card/socket may be faulty, or IRQ line too busy :(

and at the screen:
	SIOCSIFFLAGS: Timer expired

> If it still doesn't work check you have firmware loading enabled in the
> kernel
I have:
	CONFIG_STANDALONE=y
	CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
	CONFIG_FW_LOADER=m

and did now "modprobe firmware_class"
but that doesn't make a difference.

and that sysfs is mounted (in case you are running a 2.6 kernel).

	sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

What now?

Thanks for help so far!

	-ulrich

Ulrich Lauther          ph: +49 89 636 48834 fx: ... 636 42284
Siemens CT SE 6         Internet: Ulrich.Lauther at siemens.com