[Prism54-users] do I need to download a driver for 2.6.11 ?

Stroller Linux.Luser at myrealbox.com
Sun May 22 04:18:48 UTC 2005

On May 21, 2005, at 3:14 pm, Ulrich Lauther wrote:

> I am confused after reading the README, so before I start
> experimenting, a
> simple question:
> is a driver for SMC2835W already in the kernel source tree, or do I
> need to
> download a driver?

Assuming you have a version 1, yes, it's already in the kernel.

You need to set:
CONFIG_NET_WIRELESS=y
CONFIG_PRISM54=y

In menuconfig the prism54 driver is described as:
   ---   Prism GT/Duette 802.11(a/b/g) PCI/Cardbus support
   <*>   Intersil Prism GT/Duette/Indigo PCI/Cardbus
under:
[*] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions

A Google suggests that there's also a version 2 with an unsupported
Prism "frisbee" chipset. Since I have several working Allnet cards I
don't pay that much attention to others, so I can't confirm the
accuracy of that.

>  (I guess I need to download and install firmware in
> any case, right?).

Yes, that's right. See <http://prism54.org/~mcgrof/firmware/>.
Hotplug should load it automagically at startup if you have prism54
compiled statically, as I do.

Stroller.