[Prism54-users] USB device an AP Mode?

Marcus Mikolaiczyk m.mikolaiczyk at rac.de
Thu Feb 17 16:24:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm looking for a Wlan-USB (Stick) device that's working with Linux 11g and
11a  (11b only if there's no chance with 11a/g and  best with AP Mode
support (like hostap). Now I crawled through the Internet and found a lot
of  information (generally restrictions). But maybe with help from you I can
get closer to a possible solution.

To clarify my needs. I got an embedded system with USB which should be
reachable over WLAN. The user Device should not need much configuration to
connect to the device (e.g. automatic IP-Settings like DHCP Service offers
should be possible). So I have to use an AP mode, or can I use the Ad-hoc
mode for connecting several userdevices (Laptops for example) to this
embedded box which then should act as an gateway (like an AP does). If yes
then this would be one solution.If not:

1. hostap (Prism2,2.5,3) supports AP Mode but not USB - no deal :-(    -I
used this in another embedded system - worked well
2. madwifi ((Atheros?,,?) supports AP if Chipset supports it, but not USB -
no deal
3. ndiswrapper (.....lot of chipsets) not AP support only if the driver
supports it - I don't kno a Windows driver with AP support. - no deal
4. Prism54 (Prism lot of new chipsets) hmm please help
5. ralink (rt2400,rt2500) ? no details found so far.

Kind regards, cheers

Miko

Marcus Mikolaiczyk

RA Consulting GmbH