[Prism54-users] Re: [Prism54-devel] Prism54 development update

Jean-Baptiste Note jean-baptiste.note at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 31 20:51:56 UTC 2005

Dear list,

> That's pretty much my opinion, of course ; comments and criticism are welcome.

Just a comment, for the list (you pretty much know where i stand
Sebastien !), about what i'm doing when i get time : we have a
decompressed, disassembled firmware. Reading ASM is not fun, but ARM asm
is doable; nothing like the x86 crap. So we pretty much can understand
what happens inside the firmware when sending it some packets; I tend to
think that this is the only way we can understand how to talk to the
internal peripherals.

As a proof-of-concept, i've somewhat commented the code of the
uncompressed and disassembled firmware. Two days of work yielded the DMA
tx and rx interface (put to good use in freemac), the internal eeprom
interface (i2c bus through GPIO registers) and the start of the frame
decoding functions (which are to be followed through to understand how
to communicate properly with the softmac firmware, as well as how to
control the radio and such).

results to be found in raw mode at :
http://jbnote.free.fr/islsm/doku.php?id=re:disassembly_2_4_3_4

There's much to be done, and low-hanging fruits to reap...

Everyone's invited !

JB