[Prism54-users] Netgear WG511 problems

Eric "Shubes" plug at shubes.net
Fri Sep 3 21:59:11 UTC 2004

Wedge_ wrote:

>>>I've spent about 6 hours today on this (so far), so as you can imagine
>>>I'm not very happy right now.
>>>I bought this card because it seemed to be extremely well supported
>>>under Linux, so I wasn't
>>>anticipating any trouble. However, the only way I can get it to work is
>>>using Linuxants DriverLoader
>>>and the Windows driver.
>>>
>>>What I've done so far:
>>>- configured the kernel according to the README on prism54.org
>>>- loaded the necessary modules (also tried compiling everything in)
>>>- tried configuring interface with scripts and manually with iwconfig
>>>- tried a couple of different kernel versions (2.6.8.1-ck3 and vanilla
>>>2.6.7)
>>>- various suggestions found on Google
>>>
>>>I'm not getting anywhere at all, so hopefully someone can tell me what's
>>>happening. The following
>>>is my dmesg output, starting with the card being removed and inserted.
>>>It appears to load the firmware
>>>correctly at least, but after that I have no idea what it's doing:
>>>
>>>Assuming someone else called the IRQ
>>>eth1: hot unplug detected
>>>eth1: removing device
>>>eth1: islpci_close ()
>>>PCI: Enabling device 0000:02:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
>>>eth1: prism54 driver detected card model: Netgear WG511
>>>eth1: islpci_open()
>>>eth1: resetting device...
>>>eth1: uploading firmware...
>>>eth1: firmware uploaded done, now triggering reset...
>>>eth1: device soft reset timed out
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response 1000, trigging device
>>>eth1: timeout waiting for mgmt response
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>eth1: mgt_commit has failed. Restart the device
>>>eth1: mgmt tx queue is still full
>>>
>>>The card works fine in Windows, and works in Linux with the Windows
>>>drivers. Distro is Gentoo. If
>>>any other information would be helpful please let me know.
>>>

>>I seem to have the same problem at this point (fixed 2 other FC2 related
>>errors yesterday). I've got the prism54 (isl3890) chipset on a smc2802w
>>pci card. I don't get some of the messages you do, but I'm guessing
>>that's because you're pcmcia and I'm pci. I think the critical point of
>>failure (first error message) is the "soft reset timed out". What's
> [...]

Not good news. I found some posts at
http://prism54.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=492&highlight=smc+2802
I'm afraid I have a smc2802w V2. The V2 is significant. lspci reports
vendor/device as 1260:3890, which is prismGT all right. However, it also
reports the subsystem as 1113:ee03 (V2), instead of 10b8:2802 (V1). As
the last post on the 2nd page of that link says, the V1 supplier part
number (on the box) is 99-012084-164. The spn on my box is
99-012084-285, which I presume is V2. Back it goes.

I also just received a Hawking HWP54G that I'm going to try. Now that
everything else seems to be working, maybe I'll have some success (knock
wood)!
--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;