[Prism54-users] Getting started with Netgear WG511

Dick Middleton dick at lingbrae.com
Tue Nov 23 12:35:39 UTC 2004

I have a problem with my WG511 pcmcia 54g wifi card.  The prism54 driver
loads OK, it reports firmware download successful and reports doing the
reset.  However it has not really been successful.  iwconfig reports
device status "NOT READY" and the driver hangs up - waiting for
something.  Syslog reports vast numbers of messages saying "timeout
waiting for mgmt response" for that device.

Now, what I notice is the activity/power LED doesn't light.  The pcmcia
subsytem does not see the card at all.  Always reports socket empty.  It
works fine with other cards.  BTW the card works well with doze.

So what's happening here?  Do I need to get pcmcia to see this card?  Is
that the problem? If it is the problem how come that the correct drivers
are loaded when the card is inserted?

Or is this just a problem with the firmware version.  I've tried 1.04.03
and 1.0.3.0 from the fw download page.

I really don't know what sort of problem I'm looking at - I'd appreciate
some guidance on this.

I'm using Debian 2.6.7 kernel and version of the driver.

Thanks

Dick