[Prism54-users] cannot switch to monitor or managed mode

Mike Gabriel mgabriel at ecology.uni-kiel.de
Sun Nov 21 19:18:56 UTC 2004

hi there,

for 6-8 weeks or so i have the same problems with kernel 2.6.7 when running
kismet (which also switches the card to monitor mode). i have been using the
kernel version for quite some time. i also have been using the firmware for
more than a year and never changed the version i orginally started with.

to my opinion (but i am not sure) i first encountered the problem when the
recent wireless extension entered debian sarge. both occurences (wireless
upgrade and card failure) share the same synchronicity...

salut,
mike

On Friday 19 November 2004 20:54, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 09:06:47AM -0000, akshar SNIFFER wrote:
> >  ?hello everybody ,
> >
> > I am continuously switching the mode from managed to monitor and from
> > monitor to managed ,using the commands
> >
> >       iwconfig eth1 mode managed
> >       iwconfig eth1 mode monitor
> >
> > After doing this some 25 times ,i get an error message
> >
> >  Error for wireless request "set mode"(8b06)
> >  set failed on device  eth1 :input /output err
> >
> > Now the card is not responding properly , I cannot use tcpdump even in
> > monitor mode.Somtimes the iwconfig gives the result as
> >
> >         eth1 : no wireless extention
> > but the green light is still glowing (but not the orange light)
> >
> > I tried to reset the card as
> >
> >      iwpriv eth1 reset
> > But it did not help
> >
> > MY SPECIFICATION'S
> > 1)OS : linux 2.4.26
> > 2)WLAN card :Netgear WG511 cardbus with intersil prism chipset
> > 3)Firmware : isl3890
> > 4)WLAN Driver :prism54
> >               (downloaded sourcecode :prism54-cvs-latest.tar.bz2)
>
> This could just be a firmware bug. I believe we do what we're supposed
> to do for a mode change. Please try another firmware version.
>
>  Luis

- --

network administration, ecology centre, kiel university, germany
Mike Gabriel, olshausenstr 75, 24118 kiel, germany

fon-work: +49 431 880-1186
fon-home: +49 431 6474196
mail: mgabriel at ecology.uni-kiel.de
www: http://www.ecology.uni-kiel.de, http://zope.ecology.uni-kiel.de