[Prism54-users] Sudden loss of connectivity when transferring from NFS mounts

Jason Tackaberry tack@sault.org
Wed, 12 May 2004 16:37:10 -0400

--=-DJIAGboW/1ZxECywEdEc

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 15:41 -0400, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> Although this may be a red herring I thought I'd mention it anyway: the
> only real difference I can see when copying a file via NFS is that the
> latency to the remote server increases to about 30-50ms, whereas with

Further to my comment about latency, I tried a ping flood to the NFS
server with very large packets:

   ping -f -s 20000 server

Then, with ping in another window, monitored the latency.  It hovered
around 150-180ms.  I did eventually lose the connection, although it
took quite a bit of time -- a minute perhaps.  After a second time, it
took about 5 minutes to go down.  Eventually it did, but unlike before,
after about 20 seconds it seemed to recover.

Still, copying that file from NFS is a sure way to drop the connection
within seconds.

Jason.

--=-DJIAGboW/1ZxECywEdEc

--=-DJIAGboW/1ZxECywEdEc--