[Prism54-users] Prism54 list restricted to members

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff@ollie.clive.ia.us
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 19:55:56 -0600

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 15:33, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 01:30:13PM -0800, Bradley Chapman wrote:
> > Mr. Rodriguez,
> >
> > --- "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@ruslug.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > These lists are now protected so only list members are allowed to post.
> > > I didn't want to do this but it should help stop the stupid spam.
> >
> > Well, this is terrible in and of itself

Why?  Except for a few special circumstances, I've never understood why
people set up lists that allow posting by non-members.  If you can't be
bothered to subscribe and read the list (and presumably any responses to
posts that you might make), why should you be able to post to the list?
When I reply to a message, I almost never CC the reply to anyone
directly.  Plus leaving a list open for posting by non-members opens you
up to spam, which has been enough to cause me to unsubscribe from
mailing lists in the past.

> , but the presence of the phpBB forums should
> > alleviate part of the problem.
> >
> > Will the forum become more prominent as a result of this change?
>
> I guess (?)

Personally, I hope not.  I have a great dislike for web forums.  Chief
among my reasons is the user interface presented by web forums.  I like
having all of my discussions in my email program - I'm familiar with the
interface, it can sort the messages, it can search the messages, it
keeps track of which messages that I have read, it lets me know when
there are new messages, and it can delete messages that I don't want
anymore.

Jeff