[Prism54-users] SMC wireless woes, need advise

Bob Farmer brf@bfarmer.net
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 17:48:02 -0600

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Karl-Heinz Herrmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:58:13 -0600
>> "Damon L. Chesser" <dchesser4@cox.net> wrote:
>>> I have sent the below to Libranet user list and debian user list while
>>> I waited for my e-mail conformation to this list to come through.  I
>>> don't realy know what to do now, so any sugestions would be welcomed.
>>>
>>> After following wireless postings, I decided to try it out.  I bought
>>> a SMC2804WBR router (802.11b,g w/wep and wap) and a SMC2835W PCIAM
>>> card. After installing it on Win XP (dual boot w/libranet 2.8.1) my
>>> windows broke!  I figured I would install it on the "easy one" first
>>> so I can"see" it in operation.  Now the GUI is broken (tool bar and
>>> the tool bar buttons/key short cuts don't work).  Ever try to fix
>>> windows without a GUI?
>>>
>>> Then I tried it out on Libranet  Tried the support data base method,
>>> no-joy.
>>> The card does not light up, no boot-beeps indicating pcmcia cards
>>> found.  I went to www.prism54.org and followed their instructions (the
>>> card in in their data base and is listed as working, that's why I
>>> bought it).  These are the steps I followed:
>>>
>>> 1:  Using LN support database instructions, downloaded the latest
>>> 2.4.23 kernel patch (following the LN link) and installed it.
>>>
>>> 2:  Downloaded the kernel patch from prism54 and installed it.
>>> Re-compiled the kernel with the prism54 option under networking
>>> selected(you can find the directions under "readme" on the main page)
>>>
>>> 3:  Rebooted after the kernel compiled.  MISTAKE!  I had no network
>>> apone reboot, but I was not worried as the drivers where not yet
>>> compiled:  So, downloaded the prism54 drivers, make compiled pointing
>>> to my kernel source by /usr/src/linux-2.4.23, make install clean, all
>>> asper the directions in the readme.
>>>

>> Well, from this description definitely one step is missing: fetching the
>> firmware (was on prism54 site but might be offline right now as the
>> project still has no permission to distribute it with GPL licensed
>> programs). If that's the thing missing I can mail the last versions of
>> the firmware I've here.
>>
> I grabed the .arm file from the window drivers.

The latest firmware is on the prism54 page again.  You should get
1.0.4.3, and use that, I believe.  I had problems with earlier versions.
  The CD that comes with the SMC card includes an older version.  (At
least the CD that came with mine did)  The firmware should be installed
under the filename "/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/isl3890"

>> For more general problem finding: read your log files, /var/log/*,
>> maybe hotplug logs somewhere else,....
>> It might complain about missing firmware or other problems. Also there
>> are rumours of a SMC2835W "Version 2" which has a completely different
>> chipset. Make sure your card shows up as with lspci:
>> 0d:00.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor: Unknown device 3890
>> (rev 01)
>>

> Yup!  It's there.

At least you know your card support is working, if you see that in lspci...

>> the relevant modules loaded here are:
>> prism54                31200   1 firmware_class          3456   0
>> [prism54]
>> ds                      6592   0  (unused)
>> yenta_socket            9520   2 pcmcia_core            37952   0  [ds
>> yenta_socket]
>>

> Ok, I'm fuzzy here.
> "Can't locate module firmware_class" or any other of the above listed
> when I run
> "modprobe X".  I must not be running the correct command.  What should I
> run to see if these are loaded?

The command you're looking for is "lsmod"

If it can't be found with modprobe, then try running "depmod -a" and try
again.  If it still can't be found, either you compiled it statically
into your kernel (if that's possible...I'm not sure), or it's not
compiled into your kernel at all.  Recompile your kernel with the
firmware loader enabled.

>> What made problems for me at the beginning: I assumed loading the module
>> prsim54 would also load the firmware and activate the card (Led) -- I
>> won't. The modules have to be there, then bringing up the interface
>> with: ifconfig ethX up
>>
> "SIOCSIFFLAGS:  No such file or directory" is the error when the above
> is run (eth0)

Check the results of "lsmod" to see if the prism54 driver loads (or
tries to load) when you insert the card.

Check the results of "dmesg" to see what kernel messages you're getting
(or just keep a "tail -f /var/log/messages" running).  That will let you
know if the driver is trying to load, if firmware is being loaded
successfully, etc.

>> (tries to) loads the firmware and brings the LED to "on".
>>
> This is the big killer, no lights.  Somewhere from here back lies my
> problem.  I got it to work in WindowXP (reloaded OS) so the card is
> known good.  Thanks for responding K.-H.!  Where do I go from here?  A
> good chipset but bad modprobes?
>
>> *After* that you can configure the Wlan with iwconfig. IP has to be set
>> with ifconfig, can be done at activation or later, e.g. dhcp from the
>> AP.

Yes, the light will turn on when the driver is properly running.

When the driver is properly up and running, you should be able to run
the "iwconfig" command and you will see the data for your card listed
under its proper interface name.  At that point you would use "iwconfig"
to configure the wireless layer, and "ifconfig" to configure the TCP/IP
layer.  (Or use whatever standard utils/scripts are typical with your
particular distro...)

Bob