[Prism54-users] SMC2802 version 2.x

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at ruslug.rutgers.edu
Wed Jun 16 20:43:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:34:48PM +0200, Franco wrote:
> > The card model is just a marketing name. Cards use chipsets. V2 uses a
> > different chipset that is currently not supported.
>
> It's three weeks I'm pressing a vendor to get an SMC 2802W.
> How do I know if it is the "right" version, before buying?

Unfortunately compnaies like SMC, linksys, etc, don't like to make it
clear what chipset their cards use. It's up to public pressure -- from
us -- to them to make this information clear on product boxes.

Sometimes even if you're @ a shop and call the company's tech support
team and ask what chipset a specific model uses the tech support team
won't know, nor have any resources to tell you.

> > We are working with
> > Conexant on getting sources, specs to add support.
>
> Are they collborative? Do you think also V2 will be supported?
> BTW, it is still a Prism-based card, or something else?

Yes. Conexant has been great. We're currently just waiting for a reply.

	Luis

--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E