[Prism54-users] AP mode with 802.1x

Kyle Rose krose+prism54 at krose.org
Mon Jun 7 17:25:07 UTC 2004

There doesn't appear to be a searchable mailing list archive or a
wiki, so I am forced to ask a question here that has possibly been
asked a thousand times:

Is there a way to put an SMC 2802 PCI card into AP mode with 802.1x
frames sent to a local RADIUS server doing EAP/TLS authentication (in
this case, freeradius)?  I currently have everything working with a
Netgear MA311 802.11b PCI card running in HostAP mode, but the desire
to view live TV on my laptop with MythTV has forced me up to 802.11g;
at the same time, I've had bad experiences with hardware AP's (e.g., I
bought a Linksys that claimed to have RADIUS authentication support,
but I could never get it to successfully contact my freeradius
server), so I'd prefer to stick with a Linux-based AP.

As a slight aside, I'm guessing this whole setup (with rotating WEP
keys and all) is now called "WPA".  Is this a correct assumption?

Cheers,
Kyle