[Prism54-users] Getting stuck when out of range

Dr. Tobias Damm tobias@dr-t-damm.de
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:27:27 +0200

Am Di, den 01.06.2004 schrieb Claas Hilbrecht um 11:12:
> --Am Montag, 31. Mai 2004 20:27 +0200 Jens Maurer <Jens.Maurer@gmx.net>
> schrieb:
>
> > When we can't reach our connection partner any more, we can't
> > send the packets, and sending stalls.  We tell the upper networking
> > layers "my queue is full, don't send more stuff".
>
> I don't think in my case the connection is really "dropped" because I'm out
> of range. Both stations do not move around and an automated ifdown/ifup
> reenables the connection instantly. And the connection only drops if I use
> the connection with maximum transfer speed. Since 26.05.2004 the link is
> stable but I didn't sent any files over the link so far. Only some mails
> and jabber chat activity. What is also interessting is that both stations
> use the nearly the same hardware. And the AP station nevers fails so far
> (the wlan card is up for about 3 weeks now). Only my client wlan that
> connects to the AP fail. The following scipt is used to detect a wlan
> outage:
>
> while [ 1 ]
> do
>   chk=`iwconfig eth2 | grep ESSID:\"xxx\"`
>   if [ -z "$chk" ]
>   then
>     logger wlanchk QQQ: Das Funkuhrnetz ist ausgefallen, versuche RESET
>     ifconfig eth2 down
>     ifconfig eth2 up
>     sleep 2
>     iwpriv eth2 s_profile 3
>     iwpriv eth2 s_frameburst 5000
>   fi
>   sleep 5
> done
>
> > The question is whether we just forget to re-enable the upper
> > networking layers, or whether the firmware is unable to
> > re-establish the association with the base station, and
> > tell us when it did that.
>
> I can reproduce the problem in a few minutes. I'm willing to test patches
> too. WEP seems to be involved too. If I disable WEP the connection seems to
> be more "stable". With WEP it takes about 5-15 minutes to get an outage,
> without WEP it takes about 30-60 minutes.

Dear All,

I have the same problems. "bing" enforce the traffic. In the first time,
 it seems disableing WEB makes it more stable, but this not true.
It makes me "happy" 8-( that it isn't only my problem, cause
there is a chance for a solution.

I can reproduce it. Many times. I can compile, test and have many years
SW development experience.

But I don't have time to fix the problem. I have familie.
If anybody have ideas
(patches) for this problem or need more traces (debug infos). I can help.

Best regards

Tobias