[Prism54-users] eth0 & eth1 won't work at the same time

Andy Boff andy.boff at ury.york.ac.uk
Sun Jul 11 19:24:38 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 20:13, you wrote:
> That might be the problem...
>
> eth0 ---> statically set to 135.7.32.121 (wired)
> eth1 ---> statically set to 135.7.16.121 (wireless)
>
> Are these two address to close to each other?

Not really. Like decimal numbers, IP addresses use characters to separate them
for readability. For example, decimal may have "135,007,032,121". All the IP
addresses are doing is using a "." instead of a "," and then they're
cancelling leading zeros between the "."s (because the computer knows that
the "." separates blocks of 3 numbers).

They may be too close (although it's unlikely), or they may be too far apart.
It's impossible to say without some more information about your network. The
subnet mask determines whether 2 IP addresses can "see" each other. For
example, a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 requires that the first 3 blocks of
numbers are the same.

Could you possibly post the results of netstat -r for each situation, and it
would probably also be helpful if you could post the subnet masks you're
using, and any default gateways.

Also, could you describe as best you can how your network is set up? Are you
using a Wifi router, or are you just using a wifi access point?

With the routing issue, your computer needs to know how to send packets to the
outside world. The routing table is what it uses to decide. Thus, it sounds
to me like the routing table isn't quite set up right when both interfaces
are active. Possibly it's routing everything through your wired interface,
when you were expecting it to send it through the wireless interface.