[Prism54-users] Some confusion about channels and frequencies

Douglas Almquist dougga at speakeasy.net
Tue Jul 6 10:39:31 UTC 2004

I have a Netgear WG511 card that I've been quite happy with now that I've
switched to a kernel that supports the card natively.

I've been investigating security on my wireless net and have some questions
about channels and frequencies.
Using iwlist, I get the following list of frequencies/channels that claim to
be supported...

iwlist eth1 freq
eth1      26 channels in total; available frequencies :
          Channel 01 : 2.412 GHz
          Channel 02 : 2.417 GHz
          Channel 03 : 2.422 GHz
          Channel 04 : 2.427 GHz
          Channel 05 : 2.432 GHz
          Channel 06 : 2.437 GHz
          Channel 07 : 2.442 GHz
          Channel 08 : 2.447 GHz
          Channel 09 : 2.452 GHz
          Channel 10 : 2.457 GHz
          Channel 11 : 2.462 GHz
          Channel 12 : 2.467 GHz
          Channel 13 : 2.472 GHz
          Channel 14 : 2.484 GHz
          Channel 37 : 5.17 GHz
          Channel 38 : 5.18 GHz
          Channel 39 : 5.19 GHz
          Channel 40 : 5.2 GHz
          Channel 41 : 5.21 GHz
          Channel 42 : 5.22 GHz
          Channel 43 : 5.23 GHz
          Channel 44 : 5.24 GHz
          Channel 45 : 5.26 GHz
          Channel 46 : 5.28 GHz
          Channel 47 : 5.3 GHz
          Channel 48 : 5.32 GHz
          Current Channel=10

However using a tool that comes with kismet, I get a very different list of
supported channels:

listchan.pl eth1
1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,34,36,38,40,42,44,46,48,52,56,60,64

Here's a comparative list of how the two tools report the card's capabilities.
This shows how each tool reports by channel number.
Does only one card report the channel availability or both?

Reported w/ iwlist only		BOTH			listchan only
					1
					2
					3
					4
					5
					5
					7
					8
					9
					10
					11
					12
					13
					14
								36
	37				38
	39				40
	41				42
	43				44
	45				46
	47				48
								52
								56
								60
								64

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me.

Much thanks.

~Doug