[Prism54-users] Problems getting Xterasys XN-2422G to work

schaafj@msoe.edu schaafj@msoe.edu
Sat, 24 Jan 2004 14:58:21 -0600 (CST)

I've spent the past several hours tinkering with the prism 54 drivers, and
have reached the point where I think they 'should' work, but alas; they do
not.

Here's what I've done so far:

Patched a standard 2.4.24 kernel with the current prism54 drivers

Configured Kernel and re-compiled enabling:

PCMCIA/CardBus Support (in kernel)
CardBus support
Databook TCIC host bridge support
i82092 compatible bridge support
i82365 compatible bridge support
PCI Hotplug Support, with Compaq PCI Hotplug driver (in kernel)
Hotplug firmware loading support (as Module)
Wireless Lan (in kernel)
Intersil Prism GT/Duette/Indigo PCI/PCMCIA (as Module)

I upgraded my hotplug scripts and the current output of /sbin/hotplug is:

Usage: /etc/hotplug.d/default/default.hotplug AgentName [AgentArguments]
AgentName values on this system:  dasd firmware ieee1394 input net pci
scsi tape usb

I also placed the firmare in the following location:
/usr/lib/hotplug/firmware/isl3890

Anyhow, the card actually shows up in lspci -vvv

-------------
03:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 9066
        Subsystem: Abocom Systems Inc: Unknown device ab80
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

What does bother me somewhat is that when I add the -n flag, subsystem ID
doesnt match what is displayed on the 'supported card' page:
--------------
Subsystem: 13d1:ab80
--------------

At any rate, I plugged the card into my laptop and then did the following:

modprobe firmware_class (no output)

modprobe prism54
---------------
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.o:
init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.24/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/prism54/prism54.o: insmod
prism54 failed

dmesg | tail -3
---------------
cs: cb_alloc(bus 3): vendor 0x104c, device 0x9066
PCI: Enabling device 03:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)
Loaded prism54 driver, version 1.0.2.2

This also shows that the vendor/device numbers do not match up with those
listed on the supported cards page, but does not indicate any particular
reason why the driver failed to load.

I'm wondering if my problem has something to do with the fact that the
manufacturer appears to have two separate versions of the card-
Note that on http://xterasys.com/drivers.htm they have two versions of the
XN-2422g, I have the second type, with the FCC ID of MQ4WG2K4

If you have any hints or tips, please let me know.

Thanks, especially to the developers working on this project.

J. P. Schaaf