[Prism54-users] firmware.agent - how to manualy load fw

Marcel Holtmann marcel@holtmann.org
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:47:40 +0100

Hi Dominik,

> I know that problem is in hotplug scrits, but I can‘t get them work –
> because it need awk, modprobe, bash etc., which are not present at LRP
> distro.
>
> But what I know it that everything I have to do is something like:
>

> echo 1 > $SYSFS/$DEVPATH/loading
>
> cp $FIRMWARE_DIR/$FIRMWARE $SYSFS/$DEVPATH/data
>
> echo 0 > $SYSFS/$DEVPATH/loading
>

> I cut this lines from firmware agent. Seems to me that I can use
> firmware.agent file insted of /sbin/hotplug. If I will be able to get
> $DEVPATH, the rest is simple
>
> $SYSFS is /proc for 2.4 kernels, $FIRMWARE_DIR is
> /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware $FIRMWARE is isl3890. /sbin/hotplug is
> invoked by driver so I can load firmware into the card. It isn’t cute
> way how to do this but should work.
>

> My question is: is it realy so simple or I missed something important?
>
> How I can find out $DEVPATH?

the $DEVPATH is only valid for the call time of request_firmware() and
this means that you need a working hotplug framework. You can take a
look at the diethotplug package or replace the complete hotplug scripts
with some that are only specialized for firmware loading.

Regards

Marcel