[Prism54-users] scanning wireless networks with prism54 driver...

Jianpeng Dong jdong@otcwireless.com
Thu, 8 Jan 2004 17:13:09 -0800

Hi all,

I have installed the prism54 driver successfully with a GT mini-PCI card. It
works great. Thanks for the hard and great work.

I noticed a problem, however, that when I tried to scan the neighboring
wireless networks with "iwlist eth0 scanning", I can only get those 802.11g
wireless networks with inconsistent results. Two problems:
1) I could not get those 802.11b wireless networks at all.
2) Even for 802.11g wireless networks, the scanning results are highly
inconsistent, although I understand some variation is invevitable. The
number of wireless networks detected decreased, after a number of tries.

I tried master, managed, and ad-hoc modes. The results are basically the
same for these modes.

I don't know whether this is due to the iwlist program, or due to my
wireless card, or due to the driver cannot handle the case in a consistent
manner.

Any suggestions on how to improve the scanned results, or new ways to get
the scanning results will be highly appreciated.

JP