[Prism54-users] Output power regulation - SMC2802W

Aurelien slts@free.fr
Wed, 7 Jan 2004 02:21:18 +0100

Hi,
a patch was submited some time ago for this. I took a look at it but did not merge it because there were some unresolved issues.
How should we use this oid (OID_INL_OUTPUTPOWER) ?
1) The unit is claimed to be 0.25 dBm, and the max value is equivalent to 30dBm. I don't think any card will emit at this power. Legal value seems to be 20dBm. Or the power might be mesured before antenna, at some point in the unit.
2) There is probably a value for automatic mode (127 ?).
3) How does it behaves with negative values ?
4) Does it really works as expected ? I'm not able to test it...

Those problem would have lead to questions or complains from users... whereas saying "not supported" is easier ;-)

And last but not least, I don't think this feature will be usefull. Max value is hardware (or firmware ?) coded, and by default card adjusts power dynamically (allowing max value).

But if anyone find it usefull, feel free to work on it...

	...And justice for all