[Prism54-users] Re: Prism54-users digest, Vol 1 #93 - 11 msgs

Peter Leinen peter@na.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:14:10 +0100

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 12:26:06PM -0700, jim feldman wrote:

> >From: Peter Leinen <peter@na.uni-tuebingen.de>
> >To: prism54-users@prism54.org
> >Subject: [Prism54-users] Problems with a 3COM 3CRWE154G72
> >
> >Dear all,
> >
> >I try to connect my notebook running under Fedore Core, 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl
> >via a Office Connect Wireless PC Card (3CWE154G72) to a wireless lan with
> >no success.
>

> >Any help welcome.
> >  Peter
> >
> The reason the channel is changing is that you haven't linked to your AP
> yet and it's listening for any broadcasts.  I noticed from your iwconfig
> output that no MAC for the AP was listed, and you hadn't set the ESSID or
> key.  The key is optional and only needs to be set if you set encryption on
> the AP.  The ESSID is manditory.  The "supported" kernel is 2.4.23, but I
> don't think thats the issue since you obviously got the modules built and
> loaded and got the device eth1.
I also tried the 2.4.23 kernel with no success. I run into the same problems.

> iwconfig eth1 essid "billybob" channel 11 commit
>
> assuming billybob is the essid that is on the AP.

executing a command like yours does not change anythink. I try also to change
the mac-adress of the AP with no success. I can't find any connection to the
ap in the log of this box.

> "iwlist eth1 scanning" will tell you if encryption is on, broadcast essid
> (if used), and the freq which can be translated to channel if needed.  It
> will also tell you if you can talk to the card.

iwlist tells me:
eth1      Scan completed :
          Cell 01 - Address: 00:0D:54:9C:8C:56
                    ESSID:"XXX"
                    Mode:Master
                    Encryption key:off
                    Frequency:2.457GHz
                    Quality:155/0  Signal level:-48 dBm  Noise level:-203 dBm
This is the address of the AP !?
The ESSID is correct, no encryption is ok for the moment

Thanks a lot!
  Peter