[Prism54-users] wg511 trouble: PCI: ... unknown header 7f

John S. Bucy bucy@club.cc.cmu.edu
Wed, 18 Feb 2004 21:43:51 -0500

On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 01:08:57PM -0500, John Bucy wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 12:10:06PM -0500, John Bucy wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 03:27, Kasper Fischer wrote:
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > I did have similar problems on my Acer Travelmate 613TXC. I solved the
> > > problem by using the boot-parameters 'pci=noacpi,scanbus,lastbus=9' .
> > > You can place it in your lilo.conf file. For more details have a look at
> > > /usr/src/linux/Documents/kernel-params.txt (or something similar, I am
> > > working on a different computer right now).
> >
> > I just tried that; it didn't make any difference.
>

> According to a Windows box, this card has a TI chip .... *sigh*
>
> I think I'm going to try an SMC2835W next ...

I acquired an SMC2835W earlier today and it exhibits the same behavior
as the Netgear, namely coming up with a bogus PCI vendor ID of ffff
and I get the kernel message: "PCI ... device has unknown header type
7f, ignoring"

>From some more poking around, I've seen some indication that this can
be due to screwed up bios settings.  There is bios for this laptop
considerably newer than what's on it and a dos-based config util
("ps2.exe") and I'm hoping that between the 2, I'll be able to pin
down the problem.  I'm going over to linux-thinkpad and see if anyone
there knows anything about this problem.

john